Saturday, June 27, 2009

human dignity


"Would it be possible, after you have closed up, for me to get into the brown boxes, there?" The finger he used to point was trembling.

I turned around and looked at where the old man was pointing. "You want some boxes?" There were stacks of empty banana boxes at the edge of the parking lot behind our pantry.

"Those boxes are locked," he continued. I turned back toward him and could see that his shoes were splattered with dried mud and his sleeves were soiled and frayed. "Can I please come back tonight?" He reached out for my hand. "Would you leave them unlocked?" He spoke politely--respectfully--but it seemed as though he were censoring himself. Behind his courtesy I got the sense that he was pleading with me, that he was begging.

Next to the stacks of cardboard boxes were two squat, wooden containers, the pair of which looked like a rusted washer and dryer with padlocks dangling from their doors. Only gradually did I begin to realize what he was asking.

A few times each week trucks pull up to these wooden containers. We unlock them and the contents are removed and taken to farms--where it is fed to pigs: wilted cabbage, bread black with fungus, potatoes half devoured by swarming insects, apple pulp, carrots covered with white fibers, onions soft and shriveled. The smell is sweet and awful and with the onset of the summer heat, it can be nauseating.

"Please."

I looked into the eyes of the man before me. He was doing his best to maintain some level of dignity. Having  someone considerably my senior beg me for something was itself discomfiting, but when the object for which he is begging is so pitiful ... I felt ashamed. 

I did my best to offer alternatives. It was evening and we had already closed up for services. Eventually I told him to wait at the gate for a moment. I walked over to our pantry refrigerator and was thankful to have found a few of our brown bag lunches that had not been distributed. Each had a sandwich, orange, and brownie. I gave the man a couple of the brown bags, for which he thanked me (this is simply what any of us at Sacred Heart do in such circumstances). And then he departed.

I had always wondered why we kept the slop boxes locked. Now I wondered how this elderly man knew about their contents.


8 comments:

  1. Wow! Powerful story, Todd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story is pretty strong, I mean, the way you write about people makes it feel like this wold is a horrible place for these people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, thank you for coming to Sacred Heart ASDC and talking about poverty and your blogs. But for this blog, why didn't you tell the man where Sacred Heart was or other services? It was pretty smart not to let him eat the food though because then he would have gotten sick but nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey todd thank you for coming to our class and talking about your self i thought it was really sad that this man wanted to eat the pig food in those boxes and i thought it was really nice of you to give him those brown bags with food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Todd for coming to our class room today. We really appreciate that you came over to talk to us about what you do in your job. You must be really brave to go up to random homeless people and ask them questions. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for coming to our class and telling us about your experiences. This helps us get ideas for our documentary, it is really good that you take the time to see the problems or needs of others. When you write blogs that makes people see that their are people suffering. I really like this story it shows a lot of detail. You should keep writing this blogs i think it really is helpful and it lets you also learn something
    new everyday. i used to not see that that their was poverty in this city

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for giving a presentation in the 8th grade class room on 7/13/09. This blog made me feel sad but also happy.
    i felt sad because the man was going to eat pig food because he had nothing to eat .I this blog also made me feel very happy because you help the man out by giving him decent food that would not make him sick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for talking to our class. It helped us get more ideas. I cant wait to read more articles. The articles helps us with our reading and writing. You did a really good job answering the questions you gave us good information. THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete