Monday, May 4, 2009

when I pass this

This is what I pass on my way to work each morning. A walk with leaves and branches and sometimes warm, dark air, and this is what I pass each day. How am I supposed to feel about this? How am I supposed to feel when I pass this?





A woman with food on her face--a refugee from Russia, I think--made a foolish little book in which she wrote, "Perhaps my tears make the desert bloom, although I don't perceive it."

Yes, I am willing to consider that perhaps they do. Perhaps her tears really do make the desert bloom. But what, then, blooms when this weeps?

-Todd Madigan

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for writting these stories. They are rich and real and they make us look if we are willing to read. We need to hear them so that we can own them.

    ReplyDelete